City Election General Information
City elections in Iowa are non-partisan. All races in the cities of Denver, Frederika, Janesville, Plainfield, Readlyn, Sumner and Tripoli are determined by simple majority. The City of Waverly has a Runoff Election provision. This means if a candidate does not receive a simple majority (one vote more than 50%) for an office, a runoff must be held between the two highest vote getters.
To run for office, eligible electors must collect signatures on Nomination Petition(s) and file it along with an Affidavit of Candidacy in the correct office during the filing period. Candidates may collect signatures at any time before the filing period ends.
- The Affidavit of Candidacy MUST indicate whether or not it is to fill a vacancy.
- The Nomination Petition MUST designate either At-Large or a specific District before eligible electors sign the petitions.
- If Nomination Petition is for a District or Ward position, the signatures must be from eligible electors who live in that district or ward.
Click on the links below to obtain the forms to run for Mayor, City Council or Hospital Trustee. Forms are also available in the County Auditor’s Office.
The filing dates for the November 2, 2021 City/School Election are:
- First day to file: Monday, August 23, 2021.
- Last day to file: Thursday, September 16, 2021 at 5:00 PM.
Location to file Candidate Nomination Papers for a CITY office:
Denver – Bremer County Auditor
Frederika – Bremer County Auditor
Janesville – Bremer County Auditor
Plainfield – Bremer County Auditor
Readlyn – Bremer County Auditor
Sumner – Sumner City Clerk
Tripoli – Bremer County Auditor
Waverly – Bremer County Auditor
Nomination Petition signature requirements for city offices in Bremer County on the November 2, 2021 ballot are as follow:
For information about candidates’ ethics and campaign filing responsibilities and deadlines, please contact the Iowa Ethics and Campaign Disclosure Board at 515-281-4028 orwww.iowa.gov/ethics.
Federal Candidates: For information about financial disclosure requirements, please contact the Federal Election Commission at www.fec.gov or 1-800-424-9530.