Disease Outbreak Investigation, Reportable Disease Follow-up and Surveillance
About the Program:
The Bremer County Health Department works to protect and preserve the health of Bremer County citizens by monitoring, investigating, and providing education on communicable diseases in Bremer County.  For more information about diseases monitored by the BCHD, click here

School and Childcare Audits:
Chapter 139.8(6) of the immunization law and 641-7.8(139A) of the administrative rules require the BCHD to conduct annual audits of immunization records for students enrolled in licensed childcare centers and public, private, and parochial students in kindergarten through 12th grade.  Audits are conducted to ensure attendees have received the required immunizations and have an appropriate Iowa Department of Public Health Certificate of Immunization, Certificate of Immunization Exemption, or Provisional Certificate of Immunization.

For information regarding HIV and AIDS, talk to your healthcare provider, visit a testing site or contact the Iowa Health & Human Services (HHS) HIV/AIDS Program at (515) 281-6801.

PrEP is a single pill that helps keep you HIV negative when taken once daily as prescribed by your provider.  The goal of PrEP is to prevent HIV infection from taking hold if you are exposed to the virus.  When taken everyday, PrEP has been found to reduce the likelihood of HIV infection by up to 92%.  For more information about PrEP, to find a PrEP provider, and to get help paying for PrEP, click hereYou can also contact PrEPIowa via email or call/text (319) 930-9093.

In the State of Iowa, chlamydia, gonorrhea and syphilis are reportable to Iowa HHSThis information is protected by law and cannot be released to anyone other than individuals (disease intervention specialists and county public health communicable disease investigators) who perform partner notification and partner referral. In Iowa, by law, a minor can be tested and treated for a sexually transmitted disease without parental consent.  For information regarding STI testing and treatment:
Allen Women's Health or call (319) 235-5090
-Visit Black Hawk County Public Health or call (319) 291-2413

Reporting of HIV, STIs, and HCV to Iowa HHS
Iowa law requires providers AND laboratories to report to Iowa HHS. For more information,
click here.